Sunday, June 19, 2016

Making a Spout for my Lawn Roller

Difficulty Level (Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane):
Easy

Process:
When I first built my Pull-Behind Lawn Roller I didn't have a lathe yet so I just hacked something together for closing up the hole in my lawn roller. However, it was always leaking and I've wanted to do something more permanently so I took a chunk of metal, turned, faced, bored and threaded a 12 pitch thread on the inside of the ring. After that, I took a chunk of 2.500" aluminum I had cast with my Home Foundry a while back, cut off a piece on my Metal Band Saw, turned and knurled the outside, then turned the other half to size and threaded it to a matching 12 pitch thread.

The only thing that was left to do is weld the outside ring to my lawn roller, slip an o-ring on the cap and screw it on. This was more of a "would be nice to have" project and not so much a "really need this" project so I did enjoy making it

Videos:

 
Pictures:
The 2.75" ring with a 12 TPI female thread
The cap made out of aluminum with a matching 12 TPI male thread
Another view of the aluminum cap
The cap with the o-ring installed
The o-ring kit I bought at princess auto or harbor freight, I can't remember which one it was
Grinding off some of the tar in preparation for welding
After the ring was welded to the lawn roller
Another view
Test fitting the cap before applying some more asphalt spray
After the asphalt was sprayed on
The installed cap
Another view
Tools:
Metal lathe & accessories
Metal band saw
MIG welder
Angle grinder
Ear muffs & safety goggles

Materials:
1/2" of 2.500" diameter metal
1" of 2.500" diameter aluminum
One 1.750" diameter o-ring
Some asphalt car undercoating spray

Cost:
$0.00

Time:
2 hrs

Conclusion:
It works great and finally seals properly

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers