Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Making an Aluminum Follow (Travelling) Rest - Reloaded

Difficulty Level (Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane):
Medium

Process:
The process was exactly the same as when I Made an Aluminum Follow (Travelling) Rest for my Emco Maximat V10 Metal Lathe the first time around.

Videos:


 
Pictures:
The broken steady rest - version 1

My aluminum melting foundry furnace

The finished mold ready for pouring

The in-gate (top right) and the 3 risers

After the aluminum was poured

Pouring the left-over aluminum into my ingot mold

The steady rest taking shape

Making 3 longer tie-down/locking bolts

The brass contact point assemblies

Machining the v-groove into the base of the steady rest

The finished steady rest

The back side of the steady rest

Another view

Another view

The steady rest ready to be used
Tools:
Aluminum foundry & accessories
Propane burner for my foundry
Metal lathe & accessories
Delta belt sander
Metal band saw
DIY Ingot Mold
Square
Pencil
Welding magnet
Hammer
Tap & die set

Materials:
6" by 6" piece of 3/4" MDF
2 lbs of aluminum

Cost:
$0.00

Time:
About 4 hours

Savings:
$200 bucks or more

Conclusion:
It works great and I'm sure this time I won't break it

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers