Sunday, May 15, 2016

Fixing My 20 Gallon Air Compressor

Project:
Replacing a bearing on my air compressor motor

Difficulty Level (Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane):
Easy

Process:
I was working away in my shop the other day when my air compressor started to sound really bad. It sounded like something was rattling. At first I thought it might have been a loose pipe, but upon further inspection it turned out to be a bad bearing in the motor.

I've never actually seen a bearing that bad; the ring that separates the actual balls inside of the races was literally ripped apart and sticking out.

The original bearing was a 6203 LB (NTN) but all the bearing places were closed on the weekend so I bought a cheap 6203 RS replacement bearing at princess auto for $5 bucks and started putting it in.

Pulling the inner race off the shaft was pretty hard. I ended up having to use one of my diy lathe dog and a 3-prong bearing puller to get it off. The outer race was equally difficult so I had to turn a piece of 1.500" steel down to the proper size so I could hammer the outer race out of the aluminum housing.

Once the old bearing was off, I had to make another custom piece on my lathe to press/hammer the new bearing back on the shaft. Lastly, I used my oxy/acetylene torch to heat up the aluminum housing and lightly tapped the bearing into the housing. After putting it all back together it was back to running like it should.

Pictures:
The compressor without the protective cover
The bearing cage sticking out
The dust shield floating
The damaged bearing cage with the dust shield off
Another view
This motor has seen some dust
The inner race still on the rotor
Pulling the inner race off with a home-made lathe dog and a 3-jaw pulley puller
The outer race still in the aluminum housing
Another view
Getting ready to turn a piece of metal to the proper size
Knocking the outer bearing race out of the aluminum housing
All the parts of the motor
The not so good looking old bearing
The new bearing (6203 RS from Princess Auto)
Turning another piece of metal to hammer the new bearing back on the rotor shaft
The hole allows for the rotor shaft to protrude past the bearing
The rotor back in the motor housing
Pressing the new bearing back into the aluminum housing
Another view
Close-up of the new bearing
The aluminum housing back on the motor
The fixed compressor motor
Tools:
3-prong pulley puller
Socket set
Oxy/Acetylene torch
Hammer
Rubber mallet
Metal lathe & accessories
Torx screwdriver
Cordless drill

Materials:
6203 RS bearing

Cost:
$5.00

Time:
2 hrs

Savings:
At least $125 bucks

Conclusion:
Works like a charm

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers