Sunday, April 10, 2016

Fixing Motorcycle Windshield

Project:
Fixing/altering/customizing my broken motorcycle windshield

Difficulty Level (Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane):
Medium

Process:
When I bought my motorcycle (1984 Honda Magna V30) two years ago it didn't come with a windshield so I bought one on ebay for about $100 bucks. Unfortunately, when getting ready to store the bike for the winter it tipped over and broke one of the mirrors (so I had to fix that) as well as my windshield. Because the windshield broke off only at the very bottom I figured if I cut both side equally, sanded and flame-polished the edges it would look kinda cool and save me from spending another $100 on a new windshield.

The process was pretty easy, use a nicely curved object to trace a line around the broken plexiglass, cut and sand that side, then trace the shape onto a piece of paper and transfer it to the other side of the windshield to repeat the process there.

Pictures:
The shattered right side of the windshield
Another view of the shattered windshield
The curved line traced on some masking tape
One side cut, sanded and flame polished
Another view of the first side done
Close-up of one of the flame-polished edges
Tracing the profile of one side
Then transferring it to the other side
The trace lines on some masking tape
Cutting the other side on the scroll saw
The second piece cut off
The finished/fixed/modified windshield
Another view
View from the drivers seat
Tools:
Scroll saw
Pencil
Jet lighter

Materials:
Masking tape
Craft paper

Cost:
$0.00

Time:
1hr

Savings:
$100.00

Conclusion:
Love my new modded windshield

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers