Friday, July 11, 2014

Fixing Bissel Steam Mop

Project:
Fixing a friend's steam mop

Difficulty Level (Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane):
Easy

Process:
A friend of mine emailed me if I could have a look at her steam mop which apparently just stopped mid-way through a mopping session. Since I had already been used to fixing my own steam mop I figured I'd give it a try.

After taking it apart I noticed there were three thermal switches/fuses: One main fuse, one switch that turns OFF when it gets too hot and one switch that turns ON when it gets hotter than 105 degress Celsius (for the water pump).

I tested the components and realized that the main thermal protection fuse was blown (this was also the cause for my Cappucino maker repair). Since I had a thermal protection fuse in one of my parts boxes, I crimped some ends on it, removed the blown fuse, put the new one in and put it all back together. Easy as pie!

The only reason it took me almost two hours is because I had initially thought the switch that turnds ON when it gets hot was blown, so I replaced that one with one I had lying around just to realize that it's supposed to be OFF until the heating component gets hot before turning on the water pump to generate the steam. If it wasn't for that I could have probably done the whole thing in half an hour

Pictures:
Opening the one side
Pulling out the heating element to reveal the thermal shut-off components
Close-up of the thermal shut-off components. The one on the right turns the main power OFF when the heating element gets too hot and the one on the left turns the power to the water pump ON when the heating element gets hot enough (105 degrees Celsius)
The same shut-off switch from the heating element of my old H2O steam mop
Another view of the heating element. The white stuff is ceramic insulation wrapped around the heating element so as to not melt the plastic housing of the mop
The thermal protection fuse that was blown (top, black) and the replacement one from my old H2O steam mop (bottom, silver)
Putting it all back together
Testing it out: it worked great

Tools:
Screwdriver
Pliers
Multi-meter

Materials:
Thermal fuse
Electrical plugs
Electrical tape

Cost:
$0.65

Time:
1-2hrs

Savings:
$150.00

Conclusion:
Works like a charm...so far anyways

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers