Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Manganese (IV) Oxide Thermite

Project:
A simple and quick science project for our church kids

Difficulty Level (Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane):
Easy

Process:
Mixing 3g of fine aluminum powder with 24g of manganese (iv) oxide and lighting it on fire with a 4" piece of magnesium ribbon creates a very bright flash and a nice big cloud of smoke. Something I might mix up with the kids at church next science night.

I bought the manganese (iv) oxide and aluminum powder over 20 years ago when I first got into chemistry back in high school so I dug it out and it still works perfect. Maybe I'll try black powder next time...

Videos:






Pictures:
Aluminum powder
Manganese (iv) oxide
Weighing 9g of aluminum powder
Add 24g of manganese (iv) oxide
The magnesium ribbon that just arrived in the mail today
Tools:
None

Materials:
24g of manganese (iv) oxide
9g of aluminum powder
4" of magnesium ribbon

Cost:
$0.10 for the magnesium

Time:
20 minutes

Conclusion:
Awesome! I could totally have gotten into pyrotechnics...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers