Monday, January 2, 2017

How to Make a DIY Cam Lock for a Lathe Tail Stock

Note:
This is the second time I've made one of these; the first time was for my own personal lathe, this time it was for a gentleman in town who saw mine and asked me if I could make him one as well. Here's the link: Cam Lock For My Emco Maximat V10 Metal Lathe Tail Stock

Difficulty Level (Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane):
Medium

Process:
This time, things went quite a bit quicker because I had already done up the prototype for my own lathe so I just pretty much took the measurements from my cam lock and duplicated it.

First, I turned down a 1" piece to about 7/8" diameter with an M8 x 1.25 thread to match the bolt, then I made a matching 1" piece with a 1.250" diameter that had a 7/8" bore to fit the female threaded part.

After that, I drilled a 5/16" hole across both pieces for the actual cam. Then I took a piece of 1/2" cold rolled steel and turned one side down to 5/16" and left the other side at 1/2". Next, I chucked up this piece in the 4-jaw and set it off-center by about 0.100" and very carefully turned the cam portion.

Then, I turned a 5 degree angle into the 1/2" end of the cam, drilled a hole and tapped it to accept the handle.

After that, I tied down the two concentric sleeves and drilled through the 5/16" hole into the tail stock and drilled all the way through so I could stick the cam through the tail stock, then through the concentric sleeves and lock it in place with a c-clip.

Last, I had to take a 1/2" piece of cold rolled steel, turn the handle down to 3/8", thread one end and turn a knob on the other hand.

All that was left to do was to heat up the parts and quench them in oil to give it a black patina and to protect it from rusting.

Pictures:
The original tail stock with the nut fastener

The back side of the tail stock

Turning the first piece of the concentric sleeves

Tapping an M8 x 1.25mm thread

Getting ready to part off the female threaded sleeve part

The finished part

Facing the second (outside) sleeve

Drilling, then boring to size

Test fitting the pieces


Getting ready to turn down the cam

Making a little groove for the c-clip

Drilling the cross hole for the cam

Drilling through the tail stock

The two sleeves and the cam almost done
More pictures to follow

Tools:
Metal lathe & accessories
Metal band saw

Materials:
3" of 1.250" cold rolled steel
12" of 1/2" cold rolled steel

Cost:
$0.00

Time:
8 hrs (would have been 6 if I had done some more measuring ahead of time)

Conclusion:
Here's the email I got from the gentleman:

Chris,
I just wanted to let you know I've had the opportunity to try the new tail stock modification and it's a real time saver.
Every now and again I'm looking for the wrench and realize I don't need it anymore.
Thanks a lot for helping me out on this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers