Sunday, November 1, 2015

Turning Down Some Bushings on my Metal Lathe

Project:
Turning down 4 metal bushings by 60 thou for the guy who bought my Gingery Lathe

Difficulty Level (Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane):
Easy

Process:
I finally decided to sell my Gingery Lathe and the guy that ended up buying it had some metal bushings to turn down for his tractor so he asked me if I could do it for him on my Emco Maximat V10 metal lathe.

The dimensions were:

Length: 2.25"
Inside diameter: 1.00"
Outside diameter: 1.50"

He wanted the outside turned down about 60thou so I figured that shouldn't be a problem.

At first I attempted to put an arbor in my chuck and turn down a 60 degree cap on the other end so I could put some pressure on it with my live center, but the friction between the arbor and the bushing wasn't enough and it started slipping.

Luckily, the bushings had a hole drilled in them so I drilled and tapped a hole into my arbor, inserted a set screw to protrude just enough to catch the hole in the bushing and then turning them down 60 thou was a breeze.

Videos:


Pictures:
Turning the end cap with a 60 degree bevel and center drilled for the live center
Close-up of the bushing installed
Starting to turn down the bushing but it ended up slipping
After the set screw was drilled, tapped and installed to lock the bushing
Another view of the bushing installed and locked onto the arbor
The bushing on the arbor with the end cap to center the work
A view of the turned down bushing
Tools:
Metal lathe & accessories
Drill
Tap & die set

Materials:
6" of 1.25 cold rolled steel
1/4-16 set screw

Cost:
$0.00

Time:
1/2 hr

Conclusion:
It was fun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers