Saturday, October 17, 2015

Zip Line Pulleys

Project:
Building replacement zip line pulleys

Difficulty Level (Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane):
Medium

Process:
I had already tried two versions of the Zip Line Pulleys a while back. The first version was made out of a rubber caster which just split in half. The second version was made from cast aluminum which also killed one of the two pulleys so when I got my 1973 Emco Maximat V10 metal lathe I figured I'd make some out of mild steel.

The process was fairly easy. I had some 2" cold rolled metal which I chucked up, measured out the dimensions and then faced, drilled, bored, turned and parted it off. After painting the pulleys with some rust paint (they'll be out in the rain, afterwards I realized I should have made them with stainless steel instead of regular mild steel) I pressed the pulleys and set them with some loctite.

Pictures:
The finished pulley
Another view
Testing the bearing
Painting the pulley
Tools:
Metal lathe

Materials:
2" of 2" round solid cold rolled steel
2 bearings (32mm, 10 mm wide, 12mm center hole)

Cost:
$10.00

Time:
3hr

Savings:
$30.00

Conclusion:
They look awesome

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers