Thursday, August 27, 2015

Fixing Motor on X5SW-1 Quad Copter Drone

Project:
Fixing my son's X5SW-1 Quad Copter Drone

Difficulty Level (Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane):
Easy

Process:
My son got this awesome drone for his 8th birthday from his pappa who ordered it on amazon.ca and LOVED flying it. Unfortunately, after a few days (!) one of the motors stopped working. At first, I thought it was just some dirt that clogged up the tiny plastic gears but after some testing I concluded that one of the motors actually died!

Luckily, I was able to find a set of 4 replacement motors on ebay for under $US10 bucks only 16 days ago. I just got the mail today and in less than half an hour the drone was back up and running.

All I had to do is take off the gear covers (x4), the three screws that held the drone shell together (x4) and the drone propellers. I had to de-solder the two tiny wires and pull out the dead motor, then simply push the new motor in its place, glue it down with a drop of crazy glue and re-solder the two wires.

After the two shells, screws, propellers and gear guards were screwed back on it was all done and flies again like new

Videos:



 

Pictures:
The box of the X5SW-1 drone
Close-up of the gear that turns the drone propeller
After all the necessary parts were taken off
The opened drone
After I cut out the dead motor
Gluing the replacement motor in its place
Tools:
Screwdriver
Soldering iron

Materials:
Replacement motor
1 drop of crazy glue

Cost:
$2.50

Time:
1/2hr

Savings:
Over $100 bucks

Conclusion:
Works great. So much fun. I can't wait to go try it out now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers