Sunday, March 4, 2012

Loser/Winner Award

Project:
Design a loser award

Process:
The guys at work were joking around and ended up calling me over to ask for my thoughts on a project. They wanted some sort of loser award, whom they were gonna give it to they didn't know yet. Since my home foundry has been an occasional topic of conversation at work, they wanted to know if I could cast a loser award out of aluminum. I told them I'd think about it and over the weekend I've actually had some time to play around with some ideas.

I liked the loser award idea, but I wanted to give it at least an option for a positive slant on it, so I came up with an idea to turn it into a loser/winner award. Enjoy the pics...


Pictures:
Pattern made out of 1/2" melamine, then the mould
After the sprue and risers were cut off

After drilling a hole in the base and polishing the hand
Flipping it upside down for a more positive spin on the award

Tools:
Table saw, jig saw, drill, dremel with sanding bit & hss bit, vise, foundry, grinder, drill press

Materials:
A 1 foot by 1 foot piece of 1/2" melamine and 2 pounds of aluminum

Cost:
$3.00

Time:
1hr

Conclusion:
Undetermined; I'll have to bring it to work and get the guys to let me know if this meets their approval.

3 comments:

Sir Rudiger said...

That's awesome! Makes me want to be a loser, so I can get that award. But Alas! I am not...

Sir Rudiger said...

I would love an update on what the guys at work said about it

Chris Eigenheer said...

the loved it and repeatedly referred to it...

Post a Comment

Followers