Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Building Tables and Benches for the Church Nursery

Project:
I was asked if I could whip up some seating arrangements for the 2-4 year old class at church. They even provided some nice instructions (http://ana-white.com/2012/07/plans/double-trestle-play-table). After purchasing the wood I got side tracked with my metal lathe and my parental leave was over quicker than expected. However, since I had committed to do up these tables/benches within a few weeks I took my first long weekend after going back to work to tackle this project.

Difficulty Level (Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane):
Easy

Process:
The building was fairly straight forward, but it did take quite a bit longer than I expected. After all, four tables and eight benches don’t build themselves, not if you want it done properly anyways.

The most time-consuming part was actually the preparation and cutting up of all the needed pieces. I had bought just regular lumber but since the kids would be sitting on and working at the benches/tables I didn’t want any rough surfaces with potential splinters so I had to put them all through the thickness planer.

After that, they had to be cut up into the proper length, glued and nailed then screwed together for extra durability.

The table tops were made out of 5/8” MDF and the benches were simple 2x8’s.

I had agreed to build the tables but I knew I’d be pretty busy so I had agreed with the condition that someone else would do the painting. After I dropped off the tables/benches at the church someone else came and routered the table and bench tops and painted them a bright blue and red. I think they turned out quite nicely. Now I can’t wait to see them in action in the kids class

Pictures:


The mother load of all lumber
Planing the support pieces nice and smooth
I did up a quick jig considering I had to make 12 leg units
After all the leg units were built
Attaching the middle shelves to the legs
After the top frame was built and the table top attached
The finished product
Love the color! It's so bright; perfect for the kids
The 8 benches
The 4 tables
The underside of the bench was fortified with triangular pieces of wood, then glued and nailed

Finished in the classroom

Tools:
Chop saw
Table saw
Air nailer
Compressor
Hammer
Measuring tape
Pencil
Thickness planer
Belt sander
Level
Square
Cordless drill
Drill bits

Materials:
12-2x4's
12-2x8's
3 sheets of 5/8" MDF
Nails
Glue
Screws

Cost:
$252.88 plus paint

Time:
15hrs

Savings:
Not sure how much they would have cost if we bought them but my guess is that at $100/each we saved about $150

Conclusion:

I think they look amazing

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers