Friday, September 14, 2012

H2O Mop Take 3: The Capitulation

Fix that bloody H2O mop. Again!

This is a follow-up post to two earlier posts:
1. Fixing Melanie's H2O Steam Mop
2. H20 Mop Take 2: The Rebellion

Last week I was getting ready to mop the floors for Mel and after a few minutes the mop didn't seem to produce any steam. I realized that the epoxy glue I used on the blue water filter a year ago or so had dissolved with the vinegar I used to de-calcify the mop and because of that a little bit of air was able to get sucked into the machine which essentially stopped the vacuum required to suck water through to create steam.

I went out in the shop and took the filter apart again, cleaned out all the glue and ended up trying to plastic-weld it back together with the acetylene torch instead of using glue. It didn't really work until I resorted to the soldering gun with a flat attachment. All put back together I realized that the initial oxy/acetylene "heat-treatment" warped the intake fitting. After drilling it out and exchanging some o-rings I got it semi-working except for the water tank kept creeping up and because of it kept leaking some water onto the floor.

Fed up with the ugly concoction I capitulated and ordered two replacement filters online for $20 bucks. In retrospect I should have probably done that from the beginning. Lesson learned: Fixing is NOT always the best option. Unless of course you want to know how everything works. In that case, taking stuff apart is absolutely essential.

The ugly filter after plastic-welding it together with my soldering gun

You can see how the oxy/acetylene attempt at plastic-welding warped the round fitting at the top

Brand spanking new water filter. Oh, so pretty and only $20 bucks for two of them

Looks a lot nicer and actually works!
The beauty in all its glory
Close-up of the replaced filter


Oxy/Acetylene torch, soldering gun


Cleaning supplies, replacement filters




In Nathaniel's words: I guess I learned something today


Post a Comment